The Best Hardware Configuration for AutoCAD 2013, Part 2: Current and Future Needs
We started this series by looking at our current hardware and if it’s up for the job. Next, let’s examine if your hardware will still work with your future needs, which may include going from 2D to 3D or adding cloud computing and mobile devices to the mix.
2D vs. 3D
If you truly want to make sure you are getting proper hardware, make sure to consider the type of work you do. If all you do is 2D work, then your hardware needs will be less than if you are creating 3D models or creating photorealistic renderings. Many firms are considering a jump to 3D. If so, often new hardware will be an important part of the upgrade.
Do you reference data across your network? Networking needs can go beyond workstation issues. It’s possible your workstations are slow because they are using data on a slow server or network. Check it out.
Work in the Cloud
AutoCAD 2013 has a lot of native cloud-based integration. Will you or could you perform work in the cloud? Autodesk’s cloud-based rendering service is currently free, but this won’t last for long. They are currently offering it for free until they fully work out the costs and pricing. However, you could save on hardware costs for your rendering by using this cloud rendering service as a short term answer instead of investing in new hardware.
Will you incorporate mobile devices? Autodesk has AutoCAD WS, a mobile CAD program that can view and edit AutoCAD DWG files. This mobile connection is also built into AutoCAD 2013. This may mean that you will also need to consider mobile hardware in the form of smartphones or tablets.
Autodesk Design Suite
If you are purchasing or have upgraded to an Autodesk Design Suite then you will also have greater hardware needs.
Answer these questions before you even start looking at new hardware. Determine what you are currently doing, what you plan on doing, and what you currently have hardware wise.
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Heading to #AU2013? Last chance to enter our video contest before you go! We have 7 prizes and only 6 entries so far! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- We have 7 prizes for our video contest and only 6 entries! Win a Dell workstation for #CAD! Enter by Saturday! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- Here's the link! How tech is transforming auto design: on.wsj.com/1eEEZE7@my_wor… make sure your readers don't miss this WSJ artcile ...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- CAD users! Whatcha up to this weekend? Want to win a sweet new @Dell workstation? Make us a video! #CADmgr @AutoCAD bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 month ago
- Check out the fun videos in our contest at bit.ly/1fTjmQU. Vote for your fave, send in your own, WIN a @Dell workstation!Tweeted 1 month ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- What to Look for in a Professional Monitor for CAD Applications
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices