Plan a CAD Software and Hardware Upgrade, Part 1: Working with Your IT Department
Spring has sprung, and with it comes the buzz that surrounds all the announcements of new CAD software, workstations, and other hardware that burst onto the scene this time of year. As a CAD user or manager, you might be eyeing these new products and considering the benefits of upgrading. However, as is often the case, your IT department has different ideas about how your computer system should work. Here are some tips from the perspective of a systems integrator about how to speak the language of the IT professional and improve your chances of getting the hardware and software updates you need.
As a CAD user or CAD manager, you want your CAD system to work efficiently and help you get your job done on time and on budget. Your IT support staff members want that too, but they also have to weigh in on how the CAD system integrates with all the other computer software and hardware in the company.
What all parties have at heart are your company’s business goals. To instill a spirit of cooperation during system upgrades, we at StoredTech use the Information Technology Lifecycle to help define how computer software and hardware can support your business goals. Use this six-step process to develop a strategy to talk about CAD upgrades with internal departments, from your IT personnel to your company’s management team.
The overall goal is to present your CAD department’s needs in terms of their business benefits to improve the chances that they will gain acceptance. Our next two posts will explain how to do just that!
Authors: Mark Shaw and James Ecklund
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- RT @Lynn_Allen: Do you have an App you want published on the #Autodesk Exchange? Check out how! bit.ly/185YgIKTweeted 21 minutes ago
- Last chance to register for @hexagoncon HxGN Live 2013 Conference and Save $$$! Rate ends today 5/20 at 4:00 CDT. hub.am/18clU6iTweeted 2 hours ago
- Cadalyst Access: Pre-Qualify for Sponsored Issues hub.am/12FXfop http://t.co/U5tboqY5mvTweeted 3 hours ago
- Big Hearty @Autodesk Welcome to Tinkercad hub.am/12FWRGGTweeted 5 hours ago
- RT @Lynn_Allen: Chk out the new features in #Revit Architure 2014 with the new (and free!) @CADLearning ebook (with videos) http://t.co/i2z…Tweeted 2 days ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Free CAD Workstation Resource Guide Available for Download
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices