Speed Up Civil 3D with a 64-bit Operating System, Part 3: Selling to the Boss
All of these benefits are driving the PC market to embrace 64-bit operating systems like never before. Last year the Windows Blog reported the installed was approaching 50% and NPD recently reported that over 75% of computer systems on retail shelves were being sold with some flavor of Windows 7 64-bit pre-installed. All of this makes it clear that the 32-bit OS is a thing of the past and prime for extinction soon.
The best way to future-proof that Civil 3D workstation for tomorrow is to recognize this trend and migrate to 64-bit today!
Benefits versus Costs
Since almost any new CAD system you order from a big manufacturer will come preloaded with Windows 7 64-bit, the real decision lies in updating your old systems. Costs for licenses will vary depending on your software source and your licensing relationship with Microsoft. But it is safe to assume that the change will cost a few hundred dollars to install Windows 7 64-bit on each machine.
While that may seem like a hard pill to swallow consider this: Assume a man year is over 2000 hours. Billing at an average rate of $60/hour, if your employees could improve renderings, processing, and files open/save procedures to save just one minute per hour that would equate to $2000 of billable time a year! That means your 64-bit investment would pay for itself in a single year! Now those are numbers worth taking to the boss.
If after all of this you are still set on keeping your old, tired 32-bit system, we understand. Change is scary. Drop us an email and let us know how things are back in the 1990s. You can address it to “the future of Civil 3D.” We’d love to hear from you.
Author: Curt Moreno
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- RT @wkfd: RT @c3dplus: Civil 3D Surface to Revit? That's Easy! wp.me/pKldM-jFTweeted 2 hours ago
- RT @LTisACAD: Classic Tip that works with LT: Quickly Copy Objects dld.bz/csvrA @Cadalyst_MagTweeted 6 hours ago
- Optimize and select the best #CAD implementations and solutions for your company. Download @Cadalyst_Mag, for free! hub.am/14y0EGsTweeted 6 hours ago
- RT @cadpanacea: @Cadalyst_Mag Tips and Tools for May 20. Have you submitted your tip lately? hub.am/10KNQvTTweeted 1 day ago
- Webcast Replay: Flexible Design with @PTC_Creo hub.am/14rbqhMTweeted 1 day ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Free CAD Workstation Resource Guide Available for Download
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices