Speed Up Civil 3D with a 64-bit Operating System, Part 2: Non-CAD Tasks
We’ve been discussing Civil 3D and other CAD applications up to this point. But the average CAD workstation has to do so much more than CAD. Well if you are running a 64-bit operating system you are going to see benefits in these non-CAD tasks also.
Thanks to the aforementioned improvements in memory and computational management, even the most boring tasks will be improved. For instance Microsoft Office Excel will be able to open massive workbook faster and easier since it no longer has to break the data into “manageable” 2GB chunks. Microsoft Project will handle huge projects with greater ease and fewer stalls/crashes when multiple sub-projects are involved. Adobe Photoshop will render and perform file open/save functions much faster. And that is just to name a few of the great things that 64-bit operating systems can do.
But if CAD is really all you are concerned with then here is the best news of all. Many modern CAD applications are available in native 64-bit versions. These newly improved releases sport better reliability, data management, and memory utilization. What does that all mean? It means you will be rocking you CAD drawings at maximum velocity!
Next, we’ll sell it to your boss.
Author: Curt Moreno
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Heading to #AU2013? Last chance to enter our video contest before you go! We have 7 prizes and only 6 entries so far! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- We have 7 prizes for our video contest and only 6 entries! Win a Dell workstation for #CAD! Enter by Saturday! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- Here's the link! How tech is transforming auto design: on.wsj.com/1eEEZE7@my_wor… make sure your readers don't miss this WSJ artcile ...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- CAD users! Whatcha up to this weekend? Want to win a sweet new @Dell workstation? Make us a video! #CADmgr @AutoCAD bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 4 weeks ago
- Check out the fun videos in our contest at bit.ly/1fTjmQU. Vote for your fave, send in your own, WIN a @Dell workstation!Tweeted 1 month ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- What to Look for in a Professional Monitor for CAD Applications
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices