How Advances in Mobility Technology Will Affect the CAD Workplace, Part 2
In my last post, I theorized how advances in mobility technology will affect the CAD workplace. Now, what are these wandering CAD minstrels going to work on? Oh, that is the beauty of it all.
In this vision of the future that I have, mobile CAD applications and platforms will pop up everywhere. Today your CAD workstation weighs about, what … 15 pounds? What if it weighed one pound? What if it weighed less than pound? With current tablet technology, that is precisely what a mobile CAD station weighs! Imagine a future where technology brings us interfaces that are just a screen and no thicker or perhaps screens that fold or roll up for storage.
Think back to your childhood when we all watched the Warner Brothers cartoon that depicted the “House of the Future.” Remember all of those outlandish and whimsical imaginations of the robotic maid and the rehydrated seven-course meal? Use that mindset and imagine a world where your CAD interface isn’t on your tablet or phone. Imagine that is so archaic that it is laughable.
No, the future of mobile CAD is a world with holographic interfaces. It is a world where augmented related toolsets combined with GPS tracking and accelerometers allow us to see the unseen. Architects and planners will be able to visit a bare site and through the window of their “tablet” see the future construction in real space! They will walk around and see if the sink is too far from the kitchen island. If it is, they will use a tactile interface to revise the design and update the server files.
Right Here, Right Now
Would you like to know what the absolutely best thing about my insane vision of the future is? It is here, now. We are walking around in a world of people who are never unplugged. Information is flying at us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and the little screens in our pockets and bags are lighting up and buzzing. Now that developers have seen the future begun to create software for this mobile tech, we are off and flying!
Maybe the screens aren’t folded and put into back pockets and the interfaces aren’t tactile, holographic systems. Nevertheless, the power to leave your desk behind and get at least some of your work done on the go is here. Now! So upload or email your drawing to your cloud or mobile device. Take your dog to the park and enjoy the breeze while he plays and you review those General Notes. If something needs to be changed, do it there on the bench. Do it today because who can say where technology will let us work on our CAD files in the future.
Author: Curt Moreno
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Heading to #AU2013? Last chance to enter our video contest before you go! We have 7 prizes and only 6 entries so far! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- We have 7 prizes for our video contest and only 6 entries! Win a Dell workstation for #CAD! Enter by Saturday! bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 1 week ago
- Here's the link! How tech is transforming auto design: on.wsj.com/1eEEZE7@my_wor… make sure your readers don't miss this WSJ artcile ...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- CAD users! Whatcha up to this weekend? Want to win a sweet new @Dell workstation? Make us a video! #CADmgr @AutoCAD bit.ly/1fTjmQUTweeted 3 weeks ago
- Check out the fun videos in our contest at bit.ly/1fTjmQU. Vote for your fave, send in your own, WIN a @Dell workstation!Tweeted 3 weeks ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- What to Look for in a Professional Monitor for CAD Applications
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices