Plan a CAD Software and Hardware Upgrade, Part 2: Define Needs, Measure Productivity
The first part of this series about upgrading CAD software and hardware talked about using the Information Technology Lifecycle to help define how computer software and hardware can support your company’s business goals. These first three steps help you define the needs and measure your current productivity levels.
Define your company’s needs to understand how it uses technology. The truth is that if you are a CAD user, technology is highly relevant to your job function. In fact, we’d go so far as to say the two elements are inseparable. Summarize your company’s need as succinctly as possible. My company develops and manufactures widgets that are designed with ABC CAD software and produced via XYZ CAM software using DEFG equipment.
Measure your technology pain points and their impact on the organization’s productivity. Here’s where users get to really show how an upgrade can make their life easier. Are systems timing out? Crashing frequently? Are you missing deadlines because of system inefficiencies? Do you need better collaboration tools? List the problems and how they make your job harder, because these things are making your IT department’s job harder too.
Analyze what works and what needs to be improved. Chances are not everything is problematic, so figure out what works well, too. By identifying what is working right, you can better define the areas that need to be improved.
Authors: Mark Shaw and James Ecklund
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This blog was developed by Longitude Media, publisher of Cadalyst.
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- RT @LTisACAD: Classic Tip that works with LT: Quickly Copy Objects dld.bz/csvrA @Cadalyst_MagTweeted 4 hours ago
- Optimize and select the best #CAD implementations and solutions for your company. Download @Cadalyst_Mag, for free! hub.am/14y0EGsTweeted 4 hours ago
- RT @cadpanacea: @Cadalyst_Mag Tips and Tools for May 20. Have you submitted your tip lately? hub.am/10KNQvTTweeted 1 day ago
- Webcast Replay: Flexible Design with @PTC_Creo hub.am/14rbqhMTweeted 1 day ago
- Check out our latest Tips & Tools Weekly! hub.am/10KNQvZTweeted 1 day ago
The Latest from CADspeed:
- Free Webinar: Improve Civil, BIM & Plant Workflows with 3D Laser Scanning Hardware
- Solid State Drives for CAD Workstations
- Free CAD Workstation Resource Guide Available for Download
- Do You Really Need ECC Memory for CAD Workstation Computing?
- Protect Sensitive Data With Easy, Secure Data Image Overwrite for Your Large Format Devices